02/12/2010: Secretary Romulo Graces Inauguration of Consular Office in Washington
02 DECEMBER 2010, WASHINGTON D.C. - Secretary Alberto G. Romulo graced the inauguration of the consular office of the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C. last December 1. The Consular Section’s new spacious premises will be able to accommodate more conveniently the increasing number of applicants in need of various consular services. In addition to the District of Columbia, the Embassy has consular jurisdiction over the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
The consular office occupies the first floor of the Embassy’s old chancery. Located at 1617 Massachusetts Avenue, the edifice was acquired in November 1941 from Mrs. Stella Stapleton, who helped build Father Flanagan’s Boys Town in Nebraska. It was in this building where the National Catholic Welfare Conference was first held and many welfare and religious projects were conceived and developed.
The Office of the Resident Commission moved into the four-storey building in 1943. When the Philippines achieved independence and became a republic in 1946, the Office of the Resident Commissioner became the Embassy of the Philippines and the building became the chancery. The Embassy later moved across the street in a new modern structure. Through the efforts of Secretary Romulo, funds were allocated to renovate and again make use of the building.
Photos above show the Honorable Secretary Alberto G. Romulo cutting the ribbon assisted by Ambassador Willy C. Gaa, with Mrs. Lovely Romulo and Mrs. Linda Gaa looking on. In attendance were representatives from the U.S. State Department, District of Columbia, members of the diplomatic corps, leaders of Filipino organizations and friends from the Filipino community and local media. END