13/09/2013: 2013 Dr. Jose Rizal Youth Awards
13 September 2013
The Philippine American Foundation for Charities (PAFC), in partnership with the Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines, is pleased to announce the opening of the 21st Annual Dr. Jose Rizal Youth Awards competition. The awards recognize academic excellence and community service of outstanding Filipino American youths in the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area. In that regard PAFC, a non-profit organization that undertakes educational projects, through its Selection Committee will award twelve outstanding students based on the rigorous criteria outlined in the attached rules. The nomination will undergo a two-step process: (1) Nominees will meet the eligibility rules and criteria that emphasize the ideals of Dr. Jose Rizal, namely, scholarship and community service. (2) Nominees will submit personal essays on topics based on his or her current grade level.
Awardees will be recognized by the Philippine Ambassador to the United States or his representative at a special ceremony at the Philippine Embassy on November 16, 2013. Awardees will be presented with a certificate of recognition and a medal. Selected awardees will have the honor of reading their award-winning essays at the ceremony. The ceremony is a highlight of the Philippine American community in Washington, D.C. and is given broad media coverage.
The Philippine American community is highly encouraged to submit their nominations by October 31, 2013. Our applicants represent the best and brightest of a broad range of highly competitive Philippine American students of various age group levels. The competition is very competitive owing to the large number of well-deserving candidates. This speaks well for the long-term success of Filipino Americans in the United States and is a tribute to their culture, family values and hard work. The PAFC and the Philippine Embassy are pleased and proud to recognize them.
- The nominee must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- At least one parent is a Filipino or of Filipino origin.
- An officially registered student for school year 2012 - 2013
- Has received an academic award, honor, or similar official recognition from the school. Honors received should be for the 2012 - 2013 school year. We cannot give awards to students from schools that do not give out academic honors.
- Has received final grades no lower than B, 3.0, or 84% in any course/subject.
- Proof of involvement in extracurricular activities, community service and volunteer service.
- The elementary or high school that the student attended in school year 2012-2013 must be an accredited public/private school or state-recognized home school in the following jurisdictions of the MetropolitanWashington area ONLY: the District of Columbia; the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, PrinceWilliam, Spotsylvania and Stafford and the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church and Manassas in Virginia and the counties of Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George’s in Maryland.
- Nominees in the college level and above may be from a school in any jurisdiction or state if they or their parents’ permanent residence is located in the jurisdictions listed above.
- All nominations must list the specific awards received by the nominee during school year 2012-2013 only. Photocopies of the awards received or a certification from the Principal, Headmaster or Dean (or an officially designated representative) relating to such award/s should accompany the nomination forms. Please do not send originals. All submittals will not be returned.
- Copies of the report card or transcript of records for the FULL school year 2012-2013 MUST accompany each nomination.
- All nominations must be received at the following address no later than Thursday, October 31, 2013:
DR. JOSE RIZAL AWARDS COMMITTEE SECRETARIAT
5001 Marshall Crown Road
Centreville, Virginia 20120
There will be NO extension of this deadline. It is the sole responsibility of the nominating party to ensure that a fully completed and signed nomination form, along with all the other requirements are received by the Rizal Youth Awards Committee by the designated deadline. Late, incomplete or unsigned nomination forms will not be considered.
- Qualified awardees will be notified by the Committee via email, fax or phone.
- The Committee may recognize students with exceptional outstanding achievements.
- All Committee decisions related to the 2013 Dr. Jose Rizal Youth Awards are final.
- Immediate relatives of Committee members are disqualified from nomination.
For details contact Aylene Mafnas at 703-868-5660 or PAFC.DC@gmail.com
A joint project of the Philippine American Foundation for Charities, Inc. and the Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines